English Premier League: Saturday Recap


Chelsea came from behind to snatch a 2-1 win over Liverpool; further cementing their spot at the top of the table. Emre Can’s opener gave Liverpool the lead, before Gary Cahill equalized from close range to level the score. Diego Costa, who returned to the team after missing out against Maribor, then fired a late goal to complete the comeback, with Jose Mourinho’s men staying four points clear off Southampton.

Meanwhile, West Ham United and Aston Villa contested a drabby 0-0 draw, with both sides struggling to find the back of the net, throughout the game. Chances were visibly limited, as they virtually cancelled out each other’s offensive attempt, and went home with a point apiece. Rightly so as well.

Burnley on the other had, secured the maiden victory of the season, defeating Steve Bruce’s Hull City. Ashley Barnes scored the decisive goal, which was more than enough for them to go against the odds, and defeat Hull City. This was also co-incidentally, Burnely 6th goal of the season. More reasons to celebrate right there.

Manchester United ended their frustrating winless run, after securing a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace. Despite struggling to break Palace down for most occasions, Juan Mata’s brilliant strike on the 67th minute, must’ve eased the pressure on boss Louis van Gaal, and the Red Devils will be looking to build upon this.

Manchester City dropped further behind in the title race, after only managing to draw 2-2 with QPR. Charlie Austin, who has been in decent form, opened the scoring for QPR, though Sergio Aguero found the back the of net to restore parity. Demichelis then placed the ball into the back of his own net, to allow QPR to take the lead again, but thanks to the sensational Agueroa, who scored a second goal on the day, City ended the game 2-2.

Shane Long was the star at St. Mary’s as his two goals ensured that Southampton’s dream start to the Premier League campaign continued. He came on as a second half substitute when the game was still 0-0, and scored two goals in quick succession, to ensure that the Saints remained within four points of league leaders, Chelsea.